Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Job for a Season


AKA: a seasonal job!  When I started my job at the garden center/nursery/greenhouse, I was super stoked!  I’ve been behind a desk for six years and this was an opportunity to not only work and get paid, but also to learn about a growing passion of mine…gardening.  So, my seasonal job began and the lessons learned are countless.  Alas, I am going to attempt to name a few as they come to me:

1)   Customer Service is HARD work!  I challenge you, when you are being served by another person, to do everything in your power to see them as a person.  I’ve seen rude in almost all of its forms and I can tell you, trying to finish out a day greeting every person with a smile and treating them well when you’ve just been treated like dirt…is hard!  Show grace and kindness to those serving you, you may just turn their day around.  And if they haven’t been having a bad day, you may be just one more reason they can enjoy their job that day!

2)   On a sale day, I see four kinds of people: The folks that don’t say much-they just pay and leave, the folks that are super excited about their savings, the folks that argue with you because they don’t think the amount on the computer is ringing up as enough of a sale price as they’d like (usually these people have read the ad well and have found every loophole possible - they generally treat you like an idiot in the process), and the people that scoff in disgust even at the sale price.  Please make every effort possible to be one of the first two – it makes our lives easier, and I’m sure it will improve your quality of life as well!

3)   "Seasonal Job” in the gardening world means May - Beginning of June, not May - September (hmm…that makes this whole job search thing a little more of a priority!!)

4)   The last expected day with a chance of frost in MN is May 15th
 
5)   A whole slew of other gardening knowledge that you’ll just have to ask me about if you want to know more!

So, there you have it - my small bit of knowledge in the land of seasonal customer service.  As I wrap up that job, I continue to have many experiences to share in the job-hunting process.  So, until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment