Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's Going To Be An Exciting Day!


Job hunting certainly is a ride! Here's an idea of what job hunting looks like:

March 3rd: Applied for first job of the hunt. I thought I was going to get this job. In fact, I honestly thought I was going to skip this whole job-hunting process and move from one job to the next…I foresaw a smooth transition – HA!! I waited for a call about an interview. Instead, several weeks later I received an e-mail saying I was not being considered for the position…ouch!

April 7th: Last day at job. I focused on the job hunt.

April 8th-Today: Floored by the generosity of people/supporters around me (shout out to Hope Community Church)! I have had referrals for many open positions. People have found out what I’m looking for, then they’ve kept their eyes and ears open…AND they’ve sent me job openings they’ve seen. Wow! I am thankful for those people in my life! I have wanted to accept many jobs for the simple fact that someone referred me to that job and I wanted it to work out so badly. God has been gently reminding me through this process that I need to be patient, not a people-pleaser. So, patience it is.

Middle of April: Applied for a number of jobs with a well-known company in Minneapolis. I heard great things about them and know a person who works for them. I poured time into finding good-fit jobs and writing great cover letters.

Beginning of June: Hadn’t heard from them for any of the positions, wrote them off as being a big fat NO.

June 9th: Got an e-mail from them wanting to set up a phone interview.

May/June: Decided to start checking craigslist for jobs. I don’t really like looking there because there are so many scams and postings from staffing agencies. It takes a lot of time to weed through and find legitimate posts from actual employers. My general rule is that the post has to have the company name listed. If the company name is listed, I can find their website and double check the craigslist ad is a legitimate post. While I waste a lot of time weeding through, I have found a few legitimate posts and have applied to those companies.

June 13th: Got an e-mail from one such company. They would like to schedule an interview for Tuesday, June 14th at 3:00pm (in the meantime, got a response back from the June 9th company, they want to schedule an interview for Tuesday, June 14th at 2:00pm).

So, after months of job searching, I now have two great options (from what I can see so far) for employment, and they want to do interviews an hour apart --- seriously? Well, in that land of multitaskers, you make it work. Here’s how this is going to break down today:

8:00: Write this blog post

9:00-Noon: Prep for both interviews: get resumes ready, StrengthsFinder info ready (if you haven’t taken the StrengthsFinder, you really should. It’s a great tool!), make sure I’ve read through and understand the job descriptions, and research each company online. Research goes a long way in an interview and employers are impressed when you already have a general knowledge about their company.

Noon-1:30: Get ready for in-person interview. Picking out something to wear is always so difficult. In this case, based on the website and the e-mails I’ve been receiving, the company seems to 1) know how to have fun and 2) be professional while doing it. So, this calls for a fun, but professional looking print shirt and black pants to keep it neutral. It’s the best I can do to balance the two. And yes, this much thought does go into my interview outfit (I won't even write about how much thought goes into how to do my hair)!

2:00: First interview (this one is a phone interview). E-mail said expect a 20-30 minute conversation, so I will mentally prepare for 45 min. to be safe.

2:35: Leave for second interview (an in-person interview). If first interview goes long, I’ll have to finish it in the car.

2:36: Use all brain energy for finishing up a good phone interview AND not getting lost on the way to the second interview.

It’s going to be an exciting day!

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome Emily!! Can't wait to hear how the interviews go=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you try to match your clothes and hair with the kind of job you want. I find myself doing the same thing. "Hmmm...would an edgy, fun but also trustworthy youth leader wear khakis or black pants to an interview? What kind of pen would he bring along?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...it's SO funny that you mentioned the pen, Brian. The other day in my interview, the interviewer's pen stopped working. I felt so good that I had a working pen that I could offer her - until I realized that the cap had been chewed on! I should have selected my pen more carefully.

    ReplyDelete